5 Things You Need To Know :
Western Children and Adolescents Hospital
The Ministry of Health and Wellness today broke ground to signal the commencement of work to build the Western Children and Adolescent Hospital on the grounds of the Cornwall Regional Hospital. A gift from the People's Republic of China, the 220 - bed, seven floor complex with a 60 room- resident facility for health professionals is a much needed addition to the public health sector and will relieve the strain on the Bustamante Children's Hospital in Kingston. Here are 5 things you need to know ..
1. The Hospital is a gift from the Government of China.
In 2013, the then former Prime Minister the Most Honourable Portia Simpson Miller visited the People's Republic of China and received the commitment from the Government. The current administration under the leadership of Minister of Health Dr. Christopher Tufton, the then permanent secretary Mrs. Sancia Bennett- Templer and current Chief Medical Officer Dr. Jacquiline Bisasor-McKenzie concluded negotiations for the construction of the hospital.
2. This represents a multi million dollar investment in the West
That is correct! The much needed addition to our public health sector infrastructure represents a US$43 million or J$5.7 billion investment.
3. This will not be a traditional hospital!
The hospital will definitely not be a concrete jungle! It will be a modern green children's hospital with Jamaican characteristics. The colour scheme of sunshine and seaside will be integrated into the design to create a vigorous and healthy atmosphere. It will also include a jogging track and playgrounds to ensure children have quicker recovery!
4. Sustainable Green Hospital
The public lobbies, waiting areas and corridors will have an open air concept to ensure energy saving.Solar panels and solar voltage panels will be installed to provide hot water and support lighting in public areas.
5. Seven Floors and A Dedicated Nurse Apartment
So here is a break down of the floors:
- Ground Floor: Emergency department, Medical imaging department, Inpatient lobby, outpatient lobby, pharmacy, cafe, restaurant, equipment rooms etc
- 2nd Floor : Waiting areas, ENT rooms, Surgical rooms, Internal medicine, rehabilitation, central sterilization and supply department, pathological and clinical laboratories, functional examination department, administration offices,
- 3rd Floor: ICU, operation department, outdoor garden etc
- 4th - 8th floor - Wards
There will also be an adjoining nurse apartment with 4 floors and 60 rooms
Download PDFDownload PDF
About The Desk at 13 West
Market Me Consulting Limited is a Jamaican owned and operated communications company.